- This event has passed.
Watch: Advocacy 101 – Basic Training on Effective Advocacy for Change
March 2 @ 1:00 pm - 2:15 pmFree
Join us to learn how you can elevate your personal story to create meaningful change that will improve support for children with developmental disabilities, special health needs and mental health challenges. VFN is offering this online training to help you become a powerful advocate to influence decision makers on important policy issues that impact you, your family and community.
We will discuss and explore:
– How the Vermont legislature works.
– Effective ways to advocate for change.
– Steps to take to find out who your legislators are and how to develop a relationship with your legislators.
– How to craft your powerful personal story for change.
This training is for you if you’ve NEVER contacted a legislator or if you’re uncertain who your legislators are and/or if you feel overwhelmed by the thought of getting started in advocacy. Participating in this training is a great way to connect with other families and learn new skills that drive change forward.
– Robyn Freedner-Maguire from RFM Strategies has nearly 3 decades of experience on issue-based campaigns, successfully leading change by leveraging grassroots organizing and strategic communications for effective advocacy. As the former Chief of Communication for Let’s Grow Kids (LGK), Vermont’s child care campaign, Robyn launched LGK in 2014 to raise awareness about the importance of the early years for healthy development and to build a broad base of support for more investment in childcare. With her leadership, LGK enlisted over 14,000 supporters and nearly 400 activists that organized in their community for change. Additionally, Robyn successfully led the field and communications efforts with Vermont Freedom to Marry to achieve marriage equality in Vermont in 2009 and led the field efforts in Massachusetts for marriage equality in 2004.