Learning that your child has a special health care need or developmental disability can bring with it feelings of grief, isolation, fear, anxiety and sadness. Some parents find it helpful to attend a support group. We have compiled a list of some support groups for your convenience. Please check with the support group facilitator to confirm the meeting date and time.
What can you expect when you attend a parent support group?
- Meet other parents and family members who have similar experiences
- Share concerns and celebrate successes
- Problem-solve around current challenges
- Share practical and helpful suggestions
- Listen and share coping strategies
A support group facilitator said, “People don’t always need advice. Sometimes all they really need is a hand to hold, an ear to listen, and a heart to understand them.”
If you are a parent and want to start a support group, we would like to help so please give us a call. We can guide you in Organizing and Maintaining a Support Group and add your group to our list.