For parents and families, receiving a diagnosis of a Developmental Disability for a child can be overwhelming and be accompanied with many mixed feelings. Parents are the experts on their children and are often the first to notice something different about their child. Having a name for the condition can be a point of relief and validation that their concerns were accurate and  they know that they are not alone.

If a parent has concerns about their baby or young child, or the child  has been diagnosed with a developmental disability, what does that mean? Autism and  many other disabilities  fall under the category of Developmental Disabilities  or Intellectual Disabilities, which  mean the same. Parents  meet many people in their journey to help them as their child grows and develops. Some of the people they will meet in their travels may be:

Developmental Disability Services  assist children, adolescents, and adults who have a developmental disability to live, attend school, work, and recreate in their communities. In each county, there is a designated agency to help families with children with developmental disabilities. If you need developmental services,  contact the Designated Agency (DA) in your local area and ask for an intake assessment.  They will schedule a meeting for you in order to complete the intake assessment. Intake coordinators help determine what programs and services might be  and what is needed to do to apply for services.

Translate »