Developmental Services

Developmental disability services assist children, adolescents, and adults who have a developmental disability to live, attend school, work, and recreate in their communities. These services are provided by The Division of Disability and Aging Services (DDAS) partners with people with developmental disabilities, families, guardians, advocates, service providers, and state and federal agencies to plan, coordinate and administer services to people with developmental disabilities. DDAS provides funding for services, systems planning, technical assistance, training, quality assurance, monitoring and standards compliance. The Division also provides guardianship services to people  who have been determined by the court to be in need of guardianship supports.

Who provides these services?

The Department of Aging and Independent Living (DAIL), through contract with 10 Designated Agencies and 5 specialized agencies dispersed throughout the state provide services. Each area has a designated agency with service providers. In addition, there are two Supportive Intermediary Services Organizations to assist people and families to manage their developmental disabilities services. Here is a list of the designated agencies. Green Mountain Self Advocates developed videos to learn more about services:

What Kinds of Services are Available? Depending on the needs of the individual, services available to qualifying individuals may include:

  • Home services
  • Community services
  • Employment assistance
  • Family and respite support
  • Counseling and crisis intervention
  • Service coordination/case management

What is the Bridge Program?

  • The Bridge Program: Care Coordination for Children with Developmental Disabilities offers families assistance with accessing needed medical, educational, social or other services to address their children’s needs and offers care coordination to assist families of Medicaid eligible children under 22.

Children’s Personal Care Services

  • Personal Care Attendants are hired by families to provide home and community individualized support for people with disabilities under the age of 21. Because this is a Medicaid funded program, the person with a disability must currently receive Medicaid. To learn more about funding visit  6 Ways to Access Medicaid/ EPSDT for Vermont Children.
  • Flexible Family Funding (FFF) is an annual cash benefit provided to eligible families of individuals with developmental disabilities. The amount of cash benefit is based on a sliding scale.
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program for people with disabilities administered by the Social Security Administration.
Translate »