Advocacy & Leadership
Vermont Family Network frequently has opportunities for families to speak up for systems changes. You might consider testifying before a Vermont Senate or House committee; attending a focus group to discuss an issue or review a proposed policy initiative; or contacting your state or national representatives. Family voices and stories can make a huge difference.
What is Advocacy?
- is defined as the ability to speak and act on behalf of one’s self
- it can be supporting a cause or
- a political process by an individual or group
- it can influence public-policy or
- can involve actions taken by concerned citizens to demonstrate their support for an issue
It can also be about self advocacy, which can be about an individual’s likes/dislikes, how to speak up for one’s self and make their own decisions.